Bicycle infrastucture
AMuzi
2024-05-17 12:37:54 UTC
#1 rule in governance is, 'Once you solve the problem, the
money stops.'

So naturally, spending huge amounts on obviously deficient,
even ridiculous, projects increases the baseline budget.
Once the citizenry complains, there's money to remove it,
money for studies, more money for the next debacle and of
course lifetime security for the staff.

Today's hilarious examples from my daughter:

https://momentummag.com/worst-bike-lanes/
--
Andrew Muzi
***@yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971
Wolfgang Strobl
2024-05-17 14:47:24 UTC
Post by AMuzi
https://momentummag.com/worst-bike-lanes/
Many of these look like photoshopped fakes.
Thank you for observing all safety precautions
AMuzi
2024-05-17 15:15:33 UTC
Post by Wolfgang Strobl
Post by AMuzi
https://momentummag.com/worst-bike-lanes/
Many of these look like photoshopped fakes.
Some may well be, I don't know.
But as an American comedienne quipped, "I try to be cynical
but I just can't keep up."
Jeff Liebermann
2024-05-17 22:19:58 UTC
On Fri, 17 May 2024 16:47:24 +0200, Wolfgang Strobl
Post by Wolfgang Strobl
Post by AMuzi
https://momentummag.com/worst-bike-lanes/
Many of these look like photoshopped fakes.
The first photo is likely a fake:
No leaves or tree debris on the path, while there is some in the
square area around the trunk. The leaning trees should have cracked
the concrete. Leaning trees are usually removed before they cause
problems. The shadows on the trunks of the first two trees do not
match. The shadow of the 3rd tree stops short of its top. The
shadows of the trees further down the path in the marked island do not
match the shadows of the first 4 trees. Nobody plants a tree in the
middle of a road or bicycle path without some kind of protection from
getting rammed by bicycles or other vehicles.
<https://www.google.com/search?q=sidewalk+tree+guard&tbm=isch>

I skimmed through some of the other photos. Many looked suspicious,
but none are as obvious as the first photo.
--
Jeff Liebermann ***@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
AMuzi
2024-05-17 23:43:06 UTC
<https://momentummag.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/FmkhXmtWIAAuPQS.jpeg>
No leaves or tree debris on the path, while there is some in the
square area around the trunk. The leaning trees should have cracked
the concrete. Leaning trees are usually removed before they cause
problems. The shadows on the trunks of the first two trees do not
match. The shadow of the 3rd tree stops short of its top. The
shadows of the trees further down the path in the marked island do not
match the shadows of the first 4 trees. Nobody plants a tree in the
middle of a road or bicycle path without some kind of protection from
getting rammed by bicycles or other vehicles.
<https://www.google.com/search?q=sidewalk+tree+guard&tbm=isch>
I skimmed through some of the other photos. Many looked suspicious,
but none are as obvious as the first photo.
I don't know but that photo, above the date/header, is the
only example without a specified location, so it may well be
the editorial version of 'serving suggestion'.
Jeff Liebermann
2024-05-18 00:19:43 UTC
Post by Wolfgang Strobl
Post by AMuzi
[...]
That photo appears twice. Scroll down to "Obstacle Course". It's the
6th photo from the bottom.

If I ask Google to do an image search on that photo, it only returns
the original URL.
That's unlikely since the worst obstructed bicycle lanes usually
appear on multiple web pages. Hmmmm... All the photos Google lists
(above) are from Momentum Magazine, which suggests that Momentum
Magazine might be the original source of the rather awful PhotoShop
work and is possibly creating its own content. Lack of photo credits
also seems a bit odd:
<https://momentummag.com>
I haven't tried any of the other photos.

Everything is a conspiracy.
AMuzi
2024-05-18 00:39:42 UTC
Post by Jeff Liebermann
<https://www.google.com/search?q=https%3A%2F%2Fmomentummag.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2023%2F11%2FFmkhXmtWIAAuPQS.jpeg&hl=en&tbm=isch&iflsig=AL9hbdgAAAAAZkf9cMur_ATsApRSsSD_TT8Ix48Yk_1Q>
That's unlikely since the worst obstructed bicycle lanes usually
appear on multiple web pages. Hmmmm... All the photos Google lists
(above) are from Momentum Magazine, which suggests that Momentum
Magazine might be the original source of the rather awful PhotoShop
work and is possibly creating its own content. Lack of photo credits
<https://momentummag.com>
I haven't tried any of the other photos.
Everything is a conspiracy.
Yes and I was wrong. There are others without specific
location which leads me to think you're right. Then again
the actual examples from the real world are extreme in
themselves, i.e., need no exaggeration!
Jeff Liebermann
2024-05-18 02:01:25 UTC
On Fri, 17 May 2024 19:39:42 -0500, AMuzi <***@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
(chomp)
Post by AMuzi
Yes and I was wrong. There are others without specific
location which leads me to think you're right. Then again
the actual examples from the real world are extreme in
themselves, i.e., need no exaggeration!
I beg to differ. Exaggeration, PhotoShopping and "improving" photos
are very important. Adding or changing something in a photo, below
the minimum level of perception, that isn't quite right, is a really
good way to inspire the reader to maintain eye contact with the photo
or whatever surrounds the photo. If the photo was normal and not
retouched, then the reader would glance over it and not give it a
second thought. However, if there was something wrong, unusual, out
of place or suspicious, the reader will likely maintain eye contact
with the photo for a much longer period. It's all part of subliminal
advertising.
Jeff Liebermann
2024-05-18 02:16:37 UTC
Post by Jeff Liebermann
(chomp)
Post by AMuzi
Yes and I was wrong. There are others without specific
location which leads me to think you're right. Then again
the actual examples from the real world are extreme in
themselves, i.e., need no exaggeration!
I beg to differ. Exaggeration, PhotoShopping and "improving" photos
are very important. Adding or changing something in a photo, below
the minimum level of perception, that isn't quite right, is a really
good way to inspire the reader to maintain eye contact with the photo
or whatever surrounds the photo. If the photo was normal and not
retouched, then the reader would glance over it and not give it a
second thought. However, if there was something wrong, unusual, out
of place or suspicious, the reader will likely maintain eye contact
with the photo for a much longer period. It's all part of subliminal
advertising.
Here's a typical photo designed to hold your attention. See if you
can find what was changed to make readers linger:
Frank Krygowski
2024-05-18 04:01:15 UTC
Post by Jeff Liebermann
Here's a typical photo designed to hold your attention. See if you
<http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/worth1000-bikes.jpg>
Nope, you're wrong. Those are typical Australian bikes with drivetrain,
brake discs etc. on the opposite side. Everything else in the photo is
perfectly normal.
- Frank Krygowski
Jeff Liebermann
2024-05-18 04:20:56 UTC
On Sat, 18 May 2024 00:01:15 -0400, Frank Krygowski
Post by Frank Krygowski
Post by Jeff Liebermann
Here's a typical photo designed to hold your attention. See if you
<http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/worth1000-bikes.jpg>
Nope, you're wrong. Those are typical Australian bikes with drivetrain,
brake discs etc. on the opposite side. Everything else in the photo is
perfectly normal.
Yep, that's the change. With the drivetrain on the left side, it
"caught my eye", as the say goes. I didn't know such bicycles
existed. I checked using Google and couldn't find any mention of a
Australian LHD (left hand drive) bicycle.
<https://www.google.com/search?q=Australian+bicycle+LHD+%22left+hand+drive%22>
How were you able to determine from the photo that they were
Australian bicycles?
AMuzi
2024-05-18 13:12:45 UTC
Post by Frank Krygowski
Post by Jeff Liebermann
Here's a typical photo designed to hold your attention. See if you
<http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/worth1000-bikes.jpg>
Nope, you're wrong. Those are typical Australian bikes with drivetrain,
brake discs etc. on the opposite side. Everything else in the photo is
perfectly normal.
Yep, that's the change. With the drivetrain on the left side, it
"caught my eye", as the say goes. I didn't know such bicycles
existed. I checked using Google and couldn't find any mention of a
Australian LHD (left hand drive) bicycle.
<https://www.google.com/search?q=Australian+bicycle+LHD+%22left+hand+drive%22>
How were you able to determine from the photo that they were
Australian bicycles?
They're riding on the left and it doesn't look like England...
Catrike Ryder
It looks photoshopped to me.
Roger Merriman
2024-05-18 14:58:07 UTC
Post by Catrike Ryder
Post by Frank Krygowski
Post by Jeff Liebermann
Here's a typical photo designed to hold your attention. See if you
<http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/worth1000-bikes.jpg>
Nope, you're wrong. Those are typical Australian bikes with drivetrain,
brake discs etc. on the opposite side. Everything else in the photo is
perfectly normal.
Yep, that's the change. With the drivetrain on the left side, it
"caught my eye", as the say goes. I didn't know such bicycles
existed. I checked using Google and couldn't find any mention of a
Australian LHD (left hand drive) bicycle.
<https://www.google.com/search?q=Australian+bicycle+LHD+%22left+hand+drive%22>
How were you able to determine from the photo that they were
Australian bicycles?
They're riding on the left and it doesn't look like England...
It looks photoshopped to me.
It’s very much is, and the “cows” seem to be Wildebeests which are African
there are some endurance MTB races there, but again Right hand drive than
left!

Roger Merriman
Catrike Ryder
2024-05-18 15:07:08 UTC
Post by Catrike Ryder
Post by Frank Krygowski
Post by Jeff Liebermann
[...]
Flipping the image over horizontally and I see that the writing on the
second rider's jersey looks more understandable.
Jeff Liebermann
2024-05-23 18:03:42 UTC
On Sat, 18 May 2024 11:07:08 -0400, Catrike Ryder
Post by Catrike Ryder
Post by Catrike Ryder
Post by Frank Krygowski
Post by Jeff Liebermann
[...]
Yep. That's an example of a common method used to hold your
attention. You don't see the backwards writing, but your brain says
there's something wrong with the photo. So, you linger and spend a
few additional milliseconds looking for what's wrong. Since the error
is below your level of perception, you give up and continue reading
fairly quickly. However, that delay is sufficient for the artist's
purpose. You don't remember an image of the backwards writing.
Instead, you remember the entire photo. Try it. Look at the original
photo and concentrate on the letters. Then, hide the photo, wait a
few minutes, and try to recall what you saw. You will remember the
entire photo, not just the letters. If the photo was plastered with
advertising material or subliminals, holding your attention longer
increases their effectiveness (as tested with a recall test). Such
editing (and AI generated art) goes well beyond eye catchers and cross
dressing but I'll stop here.
<https://www.psychologistworld.com/influence-personality/subliminal-advertising>

Bonus trivia: If you look again at the image:
<http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/worth1000-bikes.jpg>
you might notice that there are no tire tracks for either bicycle. The
road also appears to be two different surfaces. Gravel on the left
and sand on the right, which are the result of assembling the image
from two different photos. The dirt road makes it impossible to
determine which side of the road the bicycles are riding. Except for
one right rear leg, there are no images of wildebeests seen THROUGH
the bicycle wheel spokes. If you zoom in, you might notice that this
leg is in front of the spokes, rather than behind. (It's difficult to
see without image enhancement software). The wildebeest behind the
2nd bicycle is cut off at the neck. The bicycle race number plates,
on both bicycles, have been intentionally obscured. I'm sure there
are more things wrong with the image.

Incidentally, there are no wildebeests native to Australia. They're
native to eastern and southern Africa. Most of Africa is right-hand
drive, except for the former British colonies:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-_and_right-hand_traffic>
I couldn't conclusively determine whether bicycles in Africa use left
or right side drive trains. From the photos at:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=africa+MTB+bicycles&tbm=isch>
it would seem to be RHD (right hand drive).
Frank Krygowski
2024-05-18 15:16:10 UTC
Post by Frank Krygowski
Those are typical Australian bikes with drivetrain,
brake discs etc. on the opposite side. Everything else in the photo is
perfectly normal.
Yep, that's the change. With the drivetrain on the left side, it
"caught my eye", as the say goes. I didn't know such bicycles
existed. I checked using Google and couldn't find any mention of a
Australian LHD (left hand drive) bicycle.
<https://www.google.com/search?q=Australian+bicycle+LHD+%22left+hand+drive%22>
How were you able to determine from the photo that they were
Australian bicycles?
It's obvious! Everything in Australia is flipped, sometimes in multiple
ways. And objects in Australia fall up.
- Frank Krygowski
Tom Kunich
The great editorialist photojournalist strikes yet again. His long string of published articles shows the great worth of his valuable comments.
Frank Krygowski
2024-05-18 03:53:23 UTC
There are others without specific location which
leads me to think you're right.  Then again the actual examples from the
real world are extreme in themselves, i.e., need no exaggeration!
Many other examples have been documented in print. This book was good:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2862824-crap-cycle-lanes

The fundamental design philosophy is "Any bike facility is a good bike
facility."
- Frank Krygowski
Frank Krygowski
2024-05-18 04:07:23 UTC
Post by Frank Krygowski
There are others without specific location which leads me to think
you're right.  Then again the actual examples from the real world are
extreme in themselves, i.e., need no exaggeration!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2862824-crap-cycle-lanes
The fundamental design philosophy is "Any bike facility is a good bike
facility."
BTW, I stopped to photograph this bike lane the other day:

https://flic.kr/p/2pRRUC5

No, I did not ride in it. I hope that didn't disappoint its designer.
- Frank Krygowski
Roger Merriman
2024-05-18 11:04:00 UTC
Post by Frank Krygowski
Post by Frank Krygowski
There are others without specific location which leads me to think
you're right.  Then again the actual examples from the real world are
extreme in themselves, i.e., need no exaggeration!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2862824-crap-cycle-lanes
The fundamental design philosophy is "Any bike facility is a good bike
facility."
https://flic.kr/p/2pRRUC5
No, I did not ride in it. I hope that didn't disappoint its designer.
I do in places with similar or not depending but yes those are fairly poor
quality designs by which I mean that they seem to be a net loss to cyclists
safety! Have seem some with wands etc retro fitted how well that works or
not rather depends.

I do like the armadillos on the north side of Houslow Heath have stopped
cars from drifting across it’s not continuous has one junction to the old
garden Center, now closed and a car boot sales, once a week or so and two
bus stops, and it ends before the junction.

It’s better than it was ie no random drifting cars, and arguably works
better than the other side that is more segregated but which weaves past a
floating bus stop/car parking has multiple entrances and pedestrian and
fairly poor exit back to the road.

Both are not joined up really so are piece meal type of infrastructure. But
I certainly prefer the west bound one by some margin as within the limits
of its design it works and is zero hassle where the other side is more
hassle as is the road and the layout to be fair!

https://maps.app.goo.gl/in19FwoJFx49Z6cZ6?g_st=ic

I’m equally not wildly convinced that the few bits of wands on the western
side of the Embankment which isn’t segregated just paint though is fairly
wide. Are particularly helpful if at all but I don’t ride it that often so
maybe I’m missing something?

Roger Merriman
Tom Kunich
2024-06-02 17:40:41 UTC
Post by Frank Krygowski
Post by Frank Krygowski
There are others without specific location which leads me to think
you're right. Then again the actual examples from the real world are
extreme in themselves, i.e., need no exaggeration!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2862824-crap-cycle-lanes
The fundamental design philosophy is "Any bike facility is a good bike
facility."
https://flic.kr/p/2pRRUC5
No, I did not ride in it. I hope that didn't disappoint its designer.
--
- Frank Krygowski
This may be painful for you to read.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/05/190529113036.htm